If you want to go fast, go alone. If you want to go far, go together.
Martial Arts and Kickboxing being the system we train in is very much an individual sport.
I remember very clearly training for the World Championships and telling all my students that should I win, the trophy would belong to all of them because without them I could not have achieved such a feat.
Without a team no individual will ever achieve their true potential.
Kickboxing and our system, Xen-do, is made up of individuals working as a team.
Five ways to get over yourself:
- Try to win not just for yourself, but for others too
- Respond positively to failure; work out what you can learn rather than covering up mistakes
- Think of your work not exclusively in terms of monetary reward, but also in terms of purpose and meaning
- Do not always focus on what you contribute to a team effort, but also recognise what others contribute
- Think about your connections with others rather than focusing on your differences to them
The reason the human race has achieved so much is the empathy we have for each other. Remember, a successful team is always greater than the sum of it’s parts.
This article is based on opinion:
– the author is not a qualified doctor or anyone who can dispense medical advice.
– any opinions stated are just that and people should consult a doctor before making any dietary changes or changes of any nature prompted by the articles published by or on behalf of Xen-Do.
– under 16’s please obtain parental permission before posting anything online.